Re: Latch spin - OS timeslice

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2002 09:48:20 -0800

Hi, Kyle,

Why do you think CPU0 should take more load? We're all using symmetric multi-processor machines.

I've never seen srw (spins on reader-writer locks) showing anything other than 0. May be a bug in mpstat. Why do you expect sys time to be higher? I thought spins consumed user time, not sys time. Cross-processor calls (xcal), among other things, drive up sys time.

lockstat doens't allow you probe a process other than the command following lockstat. Usage is lockstat [options] command. Otherwise it would be the ideal tool. I don't know why they wrote this program this way. Unfortuntely the API for lockstat(7D) is not published.

Somebody in Oracle should know how long 1 latch get spin takes because the default _spin_count 2000 can't be an arbitrary number. Regards,

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com