Re: L:ist - Can do/do better in MS SQL than Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:51:36 -0000

My 2 cents (from an Oracle viewpoint)

"sandiyan" <sandiyan_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:69e9c64b.0203270941.5b05708e_at_posting.google.com...
> I am been tasked to get a list:
>
> - that contain points that MS SQL will support but not Oracle...
>
> - that contain points that MS SQL will do better than Oracle...
>
> Points can be based on:
> Operatability...(from a DBA point of view)

MS Management tools and wizards are far in advance of those that Oracle offers. The plus side is that tis pretty much allows anyone to manage a DB, of course the downside is it pretty much allows anyone to manage a DB. On the other hand Oracle is highly,highly configurable in a way that SQL isn't.
> Backup/Restore

Oracle ships out of the box with a product that allows you to backup only changed blocks from datafiles (RMAN). As far as I know MS doesn't provide this level of functionality which will help massively on very large databases.

> Transact vs PL SQL language

pays your money you takes your choice. Oracle also supports java within the DB - the jury is out on how good an idea this is.

> Cursors
> Security

Is almost always a configuration issue not a technology issue. Oracle is probably technically ahead and of course runs on platforms other than NT.

> Instances/Clusters(Real Applicatin clusteres)

Oracle runs well on decent high end clustered systems. MSSQL runs on NT clusters. Oracle clustered boxes are always contributing to the performance of the system. RAC looks a very very good product.

> Performance

is 80% down to good initial design. Most of the rest is then down to codeing. the fixes will be application specific. Bear in mind that in Oracle select statements will *never* wait for an insert/update to complete and vice versa. (unless you choose to so cripple them).

> etc...
>
> I have got meeting with Oracle consultants and need some points so
> that I can judge whether it is really worth moving to Oracle...

It'll cost you :-(