Question regarding table storage

From: Cameron Abbott <cvabbott_at_altavista.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:43:37 -0500

Hi,

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a tablespace DATA created that has a datafile of 300 mb. I created a table (call it A) in this tablespace with an initial of 100 mb and next 10mb, percent increase 0, min extents 2 and max extents 99. Currently when I look at the dba_extents table for this tablespace the table A has one extent of 125 mb (initial), and 4 of 10.5 mb (next). There are also other tables using this tablespace. The total amount of all the extents used is 241 mb. This should leave 59 mb of space free in the tablespace. The problem occurs when I try to delete from the table A, I receive an Oracle error ora-01658, unable to create initial extent for segment in tablespace DATA. First, shouldn't a delete be using the rollback tablespace, not DATA? And secondly, shouldn't the table be trying to create another next extent, not an initial?

Thanks
Cameron Received on Wed Mar 27 2002 - 09:43:37 CST