Data file size in Oracle 8.1.7 for NT

From: Randi Wølner <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:22:15 +0100

I have earlier been warned against data file sizes larger than 2 G. Right now I am just about to create a new database for a development environment. There will never be taken any backup of the database, so it is not necessary to take any precautions in file size regarding that matter. But - there will (often) be done import of a dump file, where some of the tables are very big - 1 - 1,5G. For all the tables to "fit in" I think it would be a good idea to have one large data file of 10 G instead of 5 of 2 G. Is that safe?? I think I heard sometime that there was a bug in some (earlier) version of Oracle for NT that made it very risky to have data files larger than 2G...

Any experiences, ideas?

Thanks,
Randi Wølner Received on Wed Mar 27 2002 - 07:22:15 CST