Re: quick hot backup question...

From: Ganesh Raja <ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2002 04:34:30 -0800

Comments Embedded Forgot in the previous Post.

Thanks Howard for all the help.

regards,
Ganesh R

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<a7rpfh$p5$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Comments embedded.
> HJR
> --
> Resources for Oracle : www.hjrdba.com
> ============================
>
> "Ganesh Raja" <ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com> wrote in message
> > Howard,
> >
> > A Question on The same lines...
> >
> > Is it really mandatory that you do Alter system Archive Log Current or
> > Alter System Switch Logfile after the End Backup Command or after the
> > entire script is done ?
> >

> It's not mandatory, no. The reason they recommend that you force a
> checkpoint (which either of those commands will do) is that until a new
> checkpoint is issued, the SCN in the header of the datafile(s) just come out
> of hot backup mode is still behind that of the rest of the database (having
> been locked that way by the begin backup command). If you were then to have
> an Instance failure, the database would not be openable, because not all
> datafiles appear synchronised when SMON checks the file headers at startup
> time.
>
> Now, if the failure had happened *during* the hot backup, you also wouldn't
> be allowed to open the database -but you could fix that up with a quick
> 'alter database datafile X end backup'. In this scenario, that won't work
> because the thing's already come *out* of hot backup mode. You would
> therefore be forced to perform media recovery (as well as the Instance
> recovery of course) -which isn't necessarily a pain, but since it's totally
> unnecessary, it just makes getting the Instance up and running longer than
> it should do.
>
> Personally, with redundant power supplies and UPSes, and a half-decent
> operating system(!), I think the chances of an Instance failure remote
> enough that I never issue the recommended log switch. Another checkpoint
> will come along soon enough anyway, and I'd rather not be issuing extra
> checkpoints of my own.
>
> > Yeah i know that u need to take a Backup of the Log that Has the Alter
> > Tablespace End Backup command. I am doing that now in all my backup
> > scripts but my feelings is that it is not mandatory that it be done.
> > Am i right ???
> >
> > I Feel that if u dont have the End Backup Command archived and all
> > your redo and archives after the Backup got thrashed you can say
> > <<Alter database Datafile <filename> end backup>>. So it does not make
> > any difference you have the logs or not.

This Command is not working it is saying that the datafile is inconsistent.. So now how do i go about restoring the file and bringing the database online. I dont have the Redo Logs and Archives that have been taken after the end Backup.