Re: [8i] redo logs

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 26 Mar 2002 21:42:14 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<a7qprk$u28$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Try bouncing the Instance (shutdown - startup).
>
> You don't say what platform you are running on, but I've seen this on Unix,
> for example: deleting the files at the O/S level makes it seem like the
> files don't exist, but until Oracle really lets go of them, they seem to
> persist in the aether, somewhere, somehow. Shutting Oracle down usually
> gives the all-clear to the O/S to *really* go ahead and delete them.

It's not exactly the same. When you delete an opened file in Unix, the file _name_ is deleted from a directory but its i-node and its space stay used. You can reuse the file name but you won't get space back while the file stays opened by at least one process. When the last process closes the file its space is returned to the free list and i-node is marked as unused. ... Well, at least in the classical unix filesystems.

Frederic can't create a file with the same _name_ which means either oracle still has it in the data dictionary or file is still in the filesystem.

Regards,
Igor