Re: can not allocate log, archival required..

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:23:11 +1100

No worries. I only mentioned this because the others had already diagnosed the problem as a full archive destination, so yes... at some point, you'll want to delete old archives, but the key word there is "old", so understanding the principles involved should let you decide with a fair degree of confidence what counts as "old" and disposable.

The short answer is: any archives taken prior to a new, complete backup can be considered (technically) disposable. But prudence (and some bad experiences in a server room!) have taught me that it is always better to buy a new hard disk than to be too ruthless in getting rid of old archives.

Hope that doco is of some use. And that you get your problem fixed *safely*!!

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : www.hjrdba.com
============================

> > Yikes. I don't want to be cruel. But have you any idea what the
principles
> > underlying backup and recovery are? You do *not* delete archives unless
> > absolutely necessary, and even then you make sure that the deletion
doesn't
> > compromise your recoverability.
> >
> > Please: take 20 minutes or so (ok, it may be 200 minutes) to skim my
backup
> > and recovery document at the website mentioned below (the Books link).
Then