[8i] priority rules between database

From: Frederic Payant <fpayant_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:01:19 +0100

Hi,

With Oracle 8i under SunOs 8 (but I suppose this question is generic):

How does Oracle to distinguish between two database, on 2 distinct servers but with the same name ?

To be more precise :
On SERVER_A, I have an instance INST_1 that I can reach via listener from SERVER_B by an "sqlplus scott/tiger_at_INST_1"

If on SERVER_B I create an instance INST_1, what must happen if I type "sqlplus scott/tiger_at_INST_1" ?
In fact, I've seen that I reach INST_1 of SERVER_B, but : a) Is this an established rule or just random ? b) How can I reach my INST_1 on SERVER_A from SERVER_B ?

c) Is there a cleaner way to handle that sort of cases ?

Thanks for advices

Regards
Frederic PAYANT - junior DBA ;-) Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 15:01:19 CST