Oracle 8.1.7 installlation and startup - help

From: Andrew Golebiowski <andrewg_at_linmor.com>
Date: 26 Mar 2002 07:12:05 -0800

Please help

I installed Oracle 8.1.7 on a Solaris 2.5.7 box. Due to limited disk space - 4 Gbytes, i selected "Minimum" option which installs the system but no sample database.

There were no apparent problems during the installation. However, when I try to run sqlplus I get the following:

$ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Mar 26 10:00:23 2002

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: system
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Enter user-name: scott
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Above, I used system:manager and scott:tiger.

I checked the settings in /etc/system and they are as specified in the installation manual.

My ultimate goal is to import the database from the dump file. I was told to use imp for that. When I run imp, the system logges the same error message as sqlplus.

Pleaee advise...

Andrew Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 09:12:05 CST