Re: Latch spin - OS timeslice

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:10:19 -0000

I shouldn't have mentioned latch_spin_count, because I think it went defunct on most
platforms a long time ago. I have always assumed since that the necessary latch
space preparation etc. (there are 168 bytes in a logical latch, despite the fact that a physical latch is notionally one bit) was sufficient for the 'tiny_active_wait' interval.

(I only mentioned it because I can never remember which one was which).

I can't imagine how you could work out
(reliably) how long a 'gimme plus tiny_active_wait' lasts, unless you could find a way to make one process hold a latch indefinitely then get another process to grab it.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar - UK, April 3rd - 5th

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of: