Re: can not allocate log, archival required..

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Mar 2002 23:15:19 -0800

Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3C9FE065.10FD1527_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>...
> I'm not sure I understand the question - are you asking how to unhang an
> Archiver process that was hung because the log_archive_dest filled up?
> If so, then it probably depends a bit, but a shutdown abort seems
> drastic. Haven't used Oracle on NT in a while, but if you're using
> log_archive_dest and not log_archive_dest_n, then the archiver ought to
> pick back up on its own after you free up space. If you're using
> log_archive_dest_n and the destination fills or if the archiver doesn't
> pick back up on its own on your OS, you can still manually archive the
> log file. In other words, just because *automatic* archiving
> stopped/failed for a particular file, doesn't mean you can't do it on
> your own via "alter system archive log logfile 'filename' to
> 'location';". Also, you could "trick" the achiver and dynamically
> change log_archive_dest to a new directory, let ARCH succeed there once,
> then change it back. But maybe I misunderstood the question?

You understand well, the problem is that ARCH just stopped responding after filling that space and no action semmed to bring him back to life. That's rather strange, because I've never encountered the same problem on Unix, where everything works without problem, and after freeing space, ARCH goes on.
Fortunately, this problem with NTs didn't bothered me much, because that was just a test environment, productional ones are on Unixes.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.