Re: quick hot backup question...

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 06:05:50 GMT

daniel wrote:

>>I've had this discussion with you before regarding doing a log switch after
>>the datafiles are copied then copying the archive log generated during the
>>backup, and in the past went to great pains writing my script to do just
>>that. However after I "restored" a database to another location (clone)
>>

> from
>
>>a set of hotbackup files and applied all the archive logs to it, I realized
>>that what I was doing was ok, but not really necessary, like you said.
>>

> i guess if you want the hot backup to include changes made to the db during
> the period of the hot backup then you would need to log switch after...
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Daniel.

Actually, the archived redo log(s) created during the hot backup will be *required* during recovery to make the fuzzy hot backup set consistent. Cloning a new database with the hot backup set is a good exercise.

If you are not cloning, but are simply restoring a hot backup set, make sure that you create the backup controlfile before the last log switch. If you don't have that last archived redo log, you'll get a happy message that the system datafile requires some change# before a open resetlogs is allowed ...

Paul Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 00:05:50 CST