Re: quick hot backup question...

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:22:16 GMT

Howard,
Think offsite storage. This way I can take the tapes off site each day and if a fire happens later that day then I have everything and nothing in the redo (except of course after the switch). At least as of when I took the backup there is nothing in the redo (assuming a quiet time). You are correct I probably should be mirroring my archive logs to a system that is not in the same geographic location; that would be a better idea.

Jim

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:a7o4ju$vfn$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> If you're doing O/S online backups, then there's no need for a preliminary
> checkpoint, because that's precisely what the 'begin backup' command
forces
> (at least for the datafiles of the tablespace involved).
>
> The one about a preliminary log switch (presumably because you are about
> copy the archives) is always a curious one. Lots of people do it, and
I've