Re: Oracle Data Warehousing, UNIX and large file-enabled file systems

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:05:45 GMT

Well, since my group largely paid for the development of ROTS and assisted in its design, I am glad to hear of more and more use of the feature being made over the years since 7.1 beta, where we were therefore privileged to play with both ROTS, but more importantly to the core group, all the incredible things we could do with PL/SQL; as Oracle advanced between 7.0 and 7.3.ax, the changes were breathtaking and incredible. And still are, to my mind, remembering 5.0 beta. As I think back, just the changes between the last release of 6 at .36 and moving onward through 7's evolution were exciting. (Like constraints suddenly working that were formerly defined but now were enforced in actuality.)

I guess in the typical old days of big money / buy first it would have just go in the annals of one of my former corporate clients. We paid for a great deal of the development of this feature.

But, of course, now they, and many others, are using it for things we never envisioned, including of course this usage as a way of reducing backup burdens, as well as overhead on the redo/undo/rollback mechanisms. We were thinking of online archiving.

Silly us!