Re: quick hot backup question...

From: Glen A Stromquist <gstromquist_at_nospamyahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:21:25 GMT

Thanks Howard

The reason for all this was I am just brushing up for an exam (finally) and the oracle tutorial I was running through said that a logfile switch and forced checkpoint should be done before a hot backup. I was pretty sure the checkpoint was done when the file was put in backup mode, but you confirmed it.

I've had this discussion with you before regarding doing a log switch after the datafiles are copied then copying the archive log generated during the backup, and in the past went to great pains writing my script to do just that. However after I "restored" a database to another location (clone) from a set of hotbackup files and applied all the archive logs to it, I realized that what I was doing was ok, but not really necessary, like you said.

End result is that I don't bother anymore, and writing the dynamic backup scripts is a whole lot easier.

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:a7o4ju$vfn$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> If you're doing O/S online backups, then there's no need for a preliminary
> checkpoint, because that's precisely what the 'begin backup' command
forces
> (at least for the datafiles of the tablespace involved).
>
> The one about a preliminary log switch (presumably because you are about
> copy the archives) is always a curious one. Lots of people do it, and
I've