Re: server falls over

From: Kyle <kyle_at_gadgets.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:58:54 +1200

Are you dumping a huge core into /var?
check your savecore setting in /etc/rc2.d. Savecore will take the dump off of the dump device and put it wherever you specify. This is based on what you're saying about /var filling after the reboot. Those log files don't tend to fill a FS up after boot, they are either a gradual increase or happen fairly quickly after the system is up - depending on logging level.

If you are dumping core then your problem may be a hairy one. My first suggestion would be to troll through your messages file looking for memory errors. That is the first thing I do when I get cores.

Kyle