Re: Oracle Certified Master - is it any good?

From: Byron Lee <bglyahoo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:38:59 GMT

The true value of any certification (IMHO) is the value that potential employers place on it. I got my OCP for that group of employers who, in the absence of anything better, want to see a certification. I point to my experience, etc. for everybody else. In a very unscientific study, I've noticed that places with only 1 DBA (or very few) are more likely to be concerned with certification. They may not have the expertise to ask the right questions. Companies with larger DBA groups usually don't care because they're going to give you a technical interview anyway.

Byron Lee

Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org> wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0203251407590.9898-100000_at_galt.rhadmin.org...
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Nuno Souto wrote:
>
> > So, what's the real advantage of the OCP? I mean: anyone given time,
> > can become a valued DBA. OCP notwithstanding. It's all motivation,
> > isn't it? And professionalism. Something no certificate can ever hope
> > to prove.
>
> Well, I think that OCP would be more valuable if the topics covered were
> determined by the community rather than some ivory-tower committee at
> Oracle.
>
> What you learn through OCP is what Oracle wants you to know, which
> sometimes has very little to do with what you need to understand to run an
> Oracle database.
>
> What don't you cover?
>
> - lots of specifics with backup and restore
> - sqlplus /nolog (how could they leave that out?)
> - any _options in init.ora
> - autotrace/tkprof/explain plan coverage is very poor
>
> UNIX stuff, including:
> - exp/imp with named pipes
> - here documents
> - ipcs, ipcrm
>
> Maybe DB2's way is best with a separate exam for each platform.

> / Charles J. Fisher | "Those who do not understand
UNIX /
/
/