Re: Alive sessions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:36:31 +0100

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:34:26 +0100, "Kristijan Deberni" <kdeberni_at_infotrans.pl> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Is there posibillity to find out which session is alive. Becouse, in the
>moment when connection between client and server fails the seesion is still
>in the v$session view but the client is not connected any more. And I need
>only the session which are alive (client is realy connected).
>By the way, how long this kind of session is in v$session view? Which
>parameter is responsible for this (if any)?
>
>Regards

If you don't have dead connection detection enabled, Oracle will never find out whether or not the session is still there, so the session will be simply marked 'INACTIVE' in the status column of v$session. The last_call_et column tells how long it is inactive. Those sessions will be *never* cleaned up automatically, unless you enable dead connection detection (sqlnet.expire_time = <n> in sqlnet.ora on the server, n is measured in minutes. DCD doesn't work on NT, unless you are running 9i on XP Pro). The associated detached processes are never stopped in this scenario and they will be listed until you bounce the database or kill the associated background process.
Working sessions will have 'ACTIVE' in the v$session status column

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Mar 25 2002 - 08:36:31 CST