Re: can not allocate log, archival required..

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Mar 2002 00:30:55 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<a7grm9$qa4$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Yikes. I don't want to be cruel. But have you any idea what the principles
> underlying backup and recovery are? You do *not* delete archives unless
> absolutely necessary, and even then you make sure that the deletion doesn't
> compromise your recoverability.

While you're arguing about deleting/not-deleting of ARC files, one question has came to my mind. What is the correct sequence of tasks while this problem occurs on NTs ? The only one I know, is to delete ARC files, do shutdown abort and startup of dabase. That's not very good, because all uncomitted transactions are gonne and must be rerun. However just deleting of ARC files (like on Unix) doesn't work, because ARCH will not resume its work. And killin' ARCH is impossible, because of NT's process management.

P.S. I know all the stuff about saving ARC files for later recovery efforts. Pls do not write it again. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.