Re: backup without archivelog mode

From: obakesan <pellicle_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2002 18:20:46 -0800

Sensei

thanks for the good points ... hope someone else benefits from some of this in google one day too!

> > I guess that since its not in use all the time, I could just do nightly
> cold
> > backups as long as the time taken to copy the files fited into my window
> of
> > available time ....
> >

> That's the crucial issue, of course. I don't think you've mentioned how
> many records we're talking about. Or the size of the data files involved.
> Hence the 'generalized' answers you've been getting.

actaully I have not mentioned, mostly cos I dont know at this point. The client is reasonably unclear on this point, but yet is still expecting me to put together proposals for the system ... we have not built it yet, and are still in the design phase.

I am guessing that its less than a million rows, but there are about 10 seperate feed files.

(order changed here)

> Just to complicate the picture, it's possible that your nightly loads are
> very big. That to speed up the loading process you therefore run SQL Loader
> in 'nologging' mode. At which point, the archives *won't* include your

actually its likely that at least one is, but I was thinking of solving any speed issues of that by dropping indexes on problem tables, and then creating them again after the load ... I guess that this would generate lots of redo ...

I had not thought of using sqlloader in nologging mode, but thanks for that warning! *sounds like a trap for the young player IE me

thanks dude

(BTW ... leaving these fair shores next week, be back in Oz ... lookin forward to a coopers red let me tell you!) Received on Sun Mar 24 2002 - 20:20:46 CST