Re: hot backup offline db synch

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 06:12:08 +1100

Ah.

No... don't go there. Standby databases are supposed to be run on identical, or nearly identical, machines. The disk layouts can be different (different directories etc), but not completely different O/Ses. You might get away with transfering logs to a different O/S, but you also have to get away with transferring the original data files onto the different O/S. You might get away with it... not having a VMS box ready to hand in my study, I can't tell you for sure! I *think* someone once posted here that a Linux to Solaris transfer once worked. But I can't be sure of that, and even if it did, it was a sort-of Unixish-to-Unix transfer. Last time I called VMS a sort of Unix, though, one of my work colleagues practically decked me! (He happens to be quite keen on VMS!!) I know Linux to Windows won't work, and I think that's the kind of gulf you're talking about here.

So, this idea is really a non-starter, and I shouldn't have mentioned it and got your hopes up. Sorry.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

> > You're describing a standby database, and that was possible in 7.3. But
> > *managed* recovery mode was not available until 8i (where the machines
> > automatically exchange archives, and they are applied automatically at
the
> > standby machine). So if you're going to do it, you'll need to sit there
> > manually transferring archives, and manually applying them, unless you
are a
> > dab hand with a shell script and cron.
> >
> > I seriously doubt that 60Gb can be upgraded to 8i in 3 hours, but it's
> > impossible to tell with the information provided.
> >
> > If the only reason you are contemplating the standby database is that it
> > gives you a 'clone' which can be upgraded leaving the source unaffected
and
> > with no downtime, that's a fairly convoluted way to go about it.
Standby