Re: backup without archivelog mode

From: obakesan <cjundieseastwd_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:25:55 GMT

HiYa

In article <a7jncp$jro$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, some kind human wrote:
>Export doesn't count as a backup. It's a *logical* backup, true enough.
>But that's not the same thing as a physical backup involving the copying of

I'm a little vague here, on inconsistent. If there is no activity on the database, for hours at a time (after the loads, before the users start reporting work) what will be missing from the database?

I thought that inconsistent meant that there could be activity taking place during the export, and so that would be missed. Is there some other meaning?

I understand that its a logical backup, but in reality for this type of datawarehouse usage, which would be faster to restore?

would there be a difference?

those are the gut points I am trying to get at here ... I asked because I dont have the experience to know myself (you may recall me just learning about hotbackup last month)

thanks again for all your time folks

See Ya

--
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer, Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove   u n d i e s   for reply