Re: Pad temp extents a few bytes larger than sort_area_size?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:22:40 +1100

Comments below.
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message

> Howard J. Rogers doodled thusly:
>
> >So, to answer the original poster, no... stick to the exact setting of
> >sort_area_size (or an integer multiple thereof), and don't pad it with
extra
> >bytes at all. You will pay a performance penalty if you do.
> >

> G'day, Howard:
>
> I've been meaning to ask these ones, you might know the answers?
>

> With the per session sort area size available now, isn't there a
> danger that some over-zealous developer will bring the temp tablespace
> calcs out the window with a changing sort area size?
>
> I'm in two minds about this one. Should we set a large sort area size
> (say, 5M) to reduce I/O to temporary and set the uniform allocation to
> same size? Or set uniform to a sub-multiple? Or set sort area size
> smaller (say 500K) and set uniform to it exactly and wear a bit of I/O
> in exchange for better management of temporary?
>
> See what I mean? Sure, the recommendations from Oracle make sense.
> What doesn't make sense is how people use the databases... ;-)

This is certainly an issue. There need to be some development rules: only use multiples of 1M, say, for sort_area_size And the maximum it can ever be should be (say) 16M. At which point I would create the temporary tablespace with uniform size of 16M. Small sorts would fit in there 16 times. The largest sorts would fit in there once. But yes, get a developer coding for a sort_area_size of 9.5M and the nice setup is instantly stuffed, agreed. But in general, I'd suggest an agreed maximum sort_area_size, and set uniform to that. Of course, it gets even murkier in 9i. You set a PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET and leave it up to Oracle. God knows who gets what in that scenario, and I've yet to work out any real recommendations for the temporary tablespace as a result!

> Come to think of it: with the per session sort area size, what's to
> stop a third party app from going waco on this and having each session
> with its own size? Can we see the currently used sort area size
> anywhere?

I'm not actually convinced that it's a bad thing to have each session with a different s_a_s setting. Nor even changing it on the fly as a user moves from one part of the app to another. Seems to me that this is actually making good use of the feature. But yes, it depends on developers being moderately sensible in the set of sizes they make available to users, and if it's third party, I agree that it's then in the lap of the gods as to whether they do things sensibly. As to whether you can see what s_a_s is set to in a given session.... that's an excellent question! (Hint: that's coded language for 'I've never thought of that before, and I don't have an answer'). I'll have to get back to you on that one. Regards HJR