Re: Oracle 11i on HP or SUN? (not trying to starting a war)

From: zongk Tu <jpseo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 05:44:17 GMT

Heads-up..

Oracle Apps 11i...

The laest Release 11.5.6 seems reasonably stable... But be prepared to do LOTS of Patching ....especially painfull ... Better wait for 11.5.7 ..some time in April..according to Oracle..

Also, with 11i... there seems to be a severe memory leak in the Middle-tier processes..
and also requires minimum 300MB for the shared_pool in SGA... With Oracle shadow processes, Concurrent Mgr processes & other middle-tier stuff
You may need more memory..I would double it...

As well, you may be CPU bound, w/ only 4 cpu's...

Lastly, the VA7100 has some Firmware issues that affects SCSI Queue length....
I would wait for Firmware version 14 to come out...

HTH

--
Zongk Tu

Oracle Apps DBA/Unix SA