Re: Pad temp extents a few bytes larger than sort_area_size?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:24:23 +1100

No. That advice applies to temporary tablespaces which happen to be dictionary managed, because the initial extent has to allow for the segment header block.

But the poster has indicated that he is using 8i temporary tablespaces in locally managed tablespaces, and in such tablespaces, the advice from Oracle is that the uniform size parameter should *equal* the sort_area_size or a multiple thereof, *without* the addition of the extra block. Since extent allocations are handled differently in locally managed tablespaces, there is *no* need for the extra space required in dictionary managed versions of temporary tablespace.

So, to answer the original poster, no... stick to the exact setting of sort_area_size (or an integer multiple thereof), and don't pad it with extra bytes at all. You will pay a performance penalty if you do.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com