Re: backup without archivelog mode

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:20:06 +1100

I've answered at length to your other post in this thread, where you make the exact same point. No, export doesn't count as a "hot backup" since it is a logical backup, not a physical one. The term "hot backup" specifically means taking a physical copy of the database files whilst the database is open, and in use. When, in short, the contents of the datafiles are changing.

Export is not a true backup at all, if you assume that a backup should protect you from data loss (guaranteed no loss of committed data, in other words). Exports are a snapshot, and as such they are instantly out of date, and the one thing you can guarantee about exports is that the day they are used to recover from some disaster or other is the day you've lost data from your database.

You might care to check out my web site, the Tips/Backup and Administration link, and the article there called "does export count as a backup".

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Sean Comar" <skbansal999_at_directvinternet.com> wrote in message

> HJR,
>
> In this particular case, can't we do full database export while the
database
> is running? I think, database export will preserve the data integrity even
> in hot mode.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> > Archivelog mode simply means that you can guarantee recoverability of
all
> > transactions. If you can guarantee recoverability by some other
> mechanism,
> > then no, you don't need archivelog mode.
> >
> > By that, I mean that these nightly loads must be coming from some
source.
> > If you can back that source up, and are prepared to repeat a nightly
load
> if
> > something happens to the database, who cares about archives?! A lot of
> > sites, for example, will use SQL Loader to load millions of records from
> > text file. Since the text file can be burnt to CD, or put on tape, the
> load
> > could be repeated if ever there was trouble on the database.
> >
> > But: You can never, ever make a copy of any database file whilst the
> > database is running, without that copy being internally inconsistent.
And