External function and performance

From: Krzysztof Ku¶nierz <kkrzysiek_at_supra.com.pl>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:22:40 +0000

I have Oracle 9.0.1 working on RedHat Linux 7.2. I have noticed that the following statement:

SELECT external_function(column) FROM table

is 10 times slower than:

SELECT column FROM table

where:
- external_function is empty C function (it only returns its parameter)

Is it normal? If not, what can I do to improve performance?

Thanks in advance.
External function and performance Received on Sat Mar 23 2002 - 17:22:40 CST