Re: can not allocate log, archival required..

From: Peter Laursen <pl_at_mail1.remove.this.stofanet.dk>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:03:15 +0100

"Tina Mourad" <tmourad_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:9be11957.0203211643.2c1a2cf6_at_posting.google.com...
> I get the DOS window warning "Oracle instance xxx can not
allocate
> log, archival required".
>
> My init.ora does have the line
> LOG_ARCHIVE_START = TRUE
>
> thanks in advance..

You are probably generating logs faster than the archiver can copy them. If the archiver cant follow before the logs wrap around you will get that message. The system will continue when the archiver frees some log. As for the dos box, just hit enter and it disappears. Probably no harm done to your system, other than operations that require logging has been halted for a while.

Speed up the archiving process and/or make more room for data in the online logs. Search this newsgroup on advantages/disadvantages on making more online logs or larger online logs.

Some of my customers run totally unmonitored Oracle database systems and only call when something is out of order. I and the customers(they pay, they decide!) accept that we, though rarely, get this situation at times.

Disclaimer: Not a DBA, just a developer. Ask the pro's for real advice :-)
Peter Laursen Received on Fri Mar 22 2002 - 11:03:15 CST