Re: Data copy utility?

From: Mitch Gibbs <mitchell.gibbs_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2002 05:57:47 -0800

Sure, Oracle has replication. However, in this case I would suggest a dblink to the other database and then a materialized view that massages the data however you like and then populates it to the materialized view as often as you define the update interval. If you need to do DML actions on the data then create a procedure that creates the table for you using the create table example as select blah from production. Check out the execute immediate command from within PL/SQL.

I guess what you are really trying to do is mask the production data from development. In that case, you might write a function that takes the column data and randomly scrambles it. Then in the select from production, wrap each column with the function. In this case, have the dblinks owned by a different user than the developers, and have that dblink user create the developer's extract data. That way the developer's only seeing the scrambled data.

There are also many tools like Informatica, Embarcadero's DT/ Studio, DataJunction that provide more bells and whistles for doing data Extraxtion, Transformation, and Loading (ETL). You might also consider a lower end tools that does some of the same things like Microsoft's DTS (Data transformation services) and a trial of Oracle Data Warehouse builder...

However, I think the first solution will meet your needs.

Mitch