Re: OFA on SAN

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 22 Mar 2002 13:49:19 +0000 (GMT)

 <nospam_at_noserver.com> wrote:
>We are deploying oracle in a SAN environment. Does anyone have any
>recommendations as to how best to lay out. We are going on the
>assumption that there's no concept of individual disks /
>fileplacement. The SAN uses RAID and the EMC drives that we use will
>dynamically move data to balance out hotspots. Any help or advice
>would be very much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, the SAN array automatically shuffles data around disks to keep the load balanced between disks? Neat, if it works. When does it do that, on a schedule, or at idle periods or something else?

Even if it does work, I'd still be wary about putting online redo into that morass. You really do need lightening response times from redo writes. If you're paying for an EMC array, surely you can find a bit of spare budget for a dedicated tray of disks for redo?

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/