USERENV('TERMINAL') returns NULL

From: Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: 22 Mar 2002 03:17:38 -0800

Hi everyone.

First of all, the system:
We have a system Oracle 8.1.6 running on Windows NT 4 S.P.6. We also have an interface (in Pro*C) connecting to it from Solaris via Net8 over TCP/IP.

Now, the problem:
I developed an audit system for capturing inputs, updates and deletes in tables based upon triggers. Basically I insert each column inserted, updated or deleted in a table into another table (audit) with the same structure plus some columns as user, operation, etc... One of these audit columns is the terminal, which I fill in with USERENV('TERMINAL').
Suddenly I noticed that in certain circumstances, which I could not determine yet, this USERENV('TERMINAL') is NULL (??). It happens when the data modification is a result of a trigger. But this does not happen all the times. We have two identical environments ('developing' vs. 'test'), that are supposed to work in the same way, but in one of then ('test') this value USERENV('TERMINAL') is NULL, whereas in the other ('developing') it works fine returning the UNIX TTI value.

Anybody ever faced the same problem or has an idea about what the hell is happening?

Thanks in advance. Received on Fri Mar 22 2002 - 05:17:38 CST