Re: Bequeath?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:16:54 +1100

No it's not called bequeath (that's what happens when the Listener spawns you a Server Process instead of redirecting you to a pre-spawned one). What you want is 'O/S authentication of ordinary users' (as opposed to O/S authentication of privileged Users, which uses an entirely different mechanism).

You need to create user ops$blah identified externally, then grant the relevant privileges.

Then you should adjust the init.ora parameter REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT and set it to true. One Instance boucen later, and all should be well:

SQL> connect system/manager_at_db9
Connected.
SQL> create user ops$howardjr identified externally;

User created.

SQL> grant dba to ops$howardjr;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.1.1 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 9.0.1.1.1 - Production

C:\Documents and Settings\howardjr>sqlplus "/ @db9"

SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.1 - Production on Fri Mar 22 18:09:36 2002

(c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-01004: default username feature not supported; logon denied

(At this point, I go to the server and set REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=TRUE, and bouce the Instance)

C:\Documents and Settings\howardjr>sqlplus "/ @db9"

SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.1 - Production on Fri Mar 22 18:14:29 2002

(c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.1.1 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 9.0.1.1.1 - Production

SQL> show user
USER is "OPS$HOWARDJR"

Regards