Re: Database backups

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:04:01 +1100

Comments below
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"daniel" <test_at_test.com> wrote in message

> as a rule of thumb u don't roll forward from a cold backup, (yes, yes I
know
> you can but lets not get into bad habits)....

That's simply not true, and it's not a bad habit either. Of course you can roll forward from a cold backup. And taking cold backups is much easier than the hot variety.
> you can use just hot backups no probs and can recover quicker from them
>
> pointers;
>
> have multiple ctl files spanning physical disks
> multiplex your online redo logs across physical disks
> aim to log switch every 15 mins
Dreadful advice. If you want performance, log switch every 24 hours, in the dead of night, when no-one gives a damn about the huge amount of I/O the associated checkpoint will induce. If you want Instance Recovery in ten seconds, log switch every second or so. Somewhere in between those two extremes will be a happy medium for *you*.
> every time you change the db structure "alter database backup controlfile
> trace"
Equally dodgy advice, I think. Backup to trace should be routine. Every backup should include it.
> after the hot backup take a copy of the ctlfile and "archive log current"
> and make sure your archive redo logs are protected stream them off
somewhere
> else every 15 mins
Depends on your log switch rate, of course (see above!!)
> also when you take the hot backup keep a copy locally if enough space also
> stream to tape and if recovery time is an issue copy to some network
storage

Agreed. Keep as much on disk as possible. Regards HJR