Re: Problems with Oracle 9i on Win2k

From: Mike Williams <mwilliams1227_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2002 13:31:43 -0800

We've been attempting an 8i to 9i upgrade for some time now (Win2K SP2). After several attempts on our development sever, we finally completed the upgrade after completely uninstalling 8i, reinstalling, restoring the database, installing the 9i software, doing a complete standard edition install and upgrading with the data migration assistant. Many, many problems along the way (migration assistant hangs server first try, Oracle Text not installed in a custom install, manual DB upgrade works but ruled out after it takes two days). Oracle support recommended we do not use Export/Import for more than 2 GB of data (?).

Fair enough. That's why we test. So... We move on to our test server. Use the same procedure as our dev box. Hangs halfway through the ODMA. Nothing but a big mess on my server. After practicing my deep breathing exercises, reinstall, clean the machine up, decide to try EXP/IMP. Reinstall, run the ODCA to create starter scripts for database creation, get to the last screen, no option to create starter scripts. Select the HELP button and you get information on how to create scripts, you just can't do it. (Be sure you have all patches installed before trying to create a database). Create the database, tablespaces manually and import. Seems to work, but I'm not exactly getting the warm fuzzies. Lots of testing ahead.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the production upgrade. For various reasons (Oracle bug fixes), we are tied to this upgrade, though I'm more than a little nervous after the problems we've had. Some of the Oracle documentation issues we came across would have been comical if they hadn't wasted so much of our time. (Is it Oracle Text, Intermedia Text, Context or UltraSearch? Answer: All of the above, depending on where you look in the Oracle 9i Documentation.)

I believe I've seen something about a Release 2 on this group in May(?).

Good luck.

Mike Williams