Re: RI - pros and cons

From: Frank <a_at_b.c>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:41:24 +0100

Hi!

If you have a master detail relationship in your application, all child-rows must(perhaps your DBA does not agree here either :-) be deleted when a master row is deleted.
In his soulution this upkeep must be done in all forms/package whatever you use. If you later on add a new child table (to solve new business requirements) to stay to his philosophy, you must fix this in all your business logic. If you add a new child table to your table that already is a child table, all logic must be fixed to solve this new upkeep.

As with all strict rules there can be exceptions, I think interface tables can be easier to deal with without RI.
By interface tables in this context I mean tables that are populated e.g from a file and need a (lot of)
logic in order to get into a RI shape, before these tables are used by a business logic to populate the actual
application tables.

--
Frank

Postings are my personal opinions/views.
I'm not speaking on behalf of any company/organization/institution.
If the posting is mission version numbers; assume:
Oracle v9.0.1.0.1/JDK1.3.1_02