Re: Object Oriented Databases?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:52:53 +0000

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> Oracle has added object oriented features. Is anyone using them? I dont know
> anyone who is. Just wondering if you find them productive?

I find them useful for transient objects - such as passing large chunks of data around in PL/SQL using types etc.

For physical objects, ff you look under the covers, most of the object stuff is implemented as hidden columns in standard relational constructs - so if anything its just the same old stuff - which is why I don't use them.

But if your development language works better using the objects - then you may as well go right ahead...

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald