Re: alter system dump syntax?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 20 Mar 2002 06:38:44 -0800

Dan Bikle <dbikle_at_rahul.net> wrote in message news:<a795o6$s6k$1_at_samba.rahul.net>...
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that jkl makes use of 'alter system dump' to inspect the contents
> of various files (redologs, datafiles, ...).
>
> Where might I locate a syntax diagram for this command?
>
> Locating examples is easy enough via google.com but I'd like to know
> what my syntax options are.
>
> It looks like this question was asked before:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%22alter+system+dump%22+group:comp.databases.oracle.server&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&scoring=d&selm=8h6ef9%24cgp%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=14
>
> But no answers were offered.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dan

Unless, there is a change in the documentation for Oracle 9i I do not believe the full syntax for this command is published. The dump commands seem to appear in Oracle support documentation for specific problems.

Note:1031381.6 How do I Dump Redo Log File Information? Note:101572.1 ORA-02194: When Trying to Get Blockdump in Oracle8

I have managed to accumulate a handful of dump commands for dumping data base data blocks, segment header blocks, the control files, heap dumps, tree dumps, library cache, process state, and system state dumps. But Oracle support has told me that for some of these there are a limited number of people at Oracle who are qualified to work with them, and some of them are only useful under certain conditions so rather than post them I am going to refer you to Steve Adams's modified web site url where he has several commands posted with explanations: www.ixora.com.au

The oradebug utility also is capable of producing numerous dumps.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Mar 20 2002 - 08:38:44 CST