Re: Installing 9i fails on Win2k

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:19:12 +1100

"Wyrm" <afdng_at_wyrm.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:1016625895.5949.0.nnrp-14.c29f1e83_at_news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi.
>
> Further to my previous message, I've tried a nearly default installation
of
> Oracle 9i on my Windows 2000 machine (clean Windows 2000 SP2 install).
> I chose Standard Edition rather than Enterprise.
> Everything installed OK, but when the installer started running the
> Configuration Tools there was a problem with Oracle Database Configuration
> Assistant (again).
> It copied the database files, initialized the database, but when creating
> and starting the oracle instance it generated the following error:
> ORA-01041 internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist.
> I tried Ignore, but it came back with:
> ORA-24324 service handle not initialized
> Ignore again gave me the first error, and ignore again the second error,
> etc.
> I had no choice but to abort.
> After installation, I tried to look at the database created, but was
unable
> to login (illegal address).
> I then ran the Database Configuration Assistant and tried to create a
> database, but with the same problems.
> I am getting this problem on two Win2k Sp2 servers. Is there anything I
can
> do to go forward from here instead of having to reinstall everything
again?

> I am going to try what Howard recommended in the other thread and do a
> Software Only installation on one of the two servers. However, this is not
> encouraging for the robustness of 9i given that even the default
> installation has problems!
>
> Laurence Mee.

I wish we could pin this down. I haven't had a problem on Win2K, except when it wasn't a clean installation... and you're saying that yours is. So there shouldn't be a problem... but obviously there is. I've found the installation to be entirely robust. I wish I could point you in the right direction... But apart from telling you that it can be done, repeatedly(!), I'm not sure what else I can offer.

Reinstall Windows and have another go (tip to the wise: Norton Ghost helps for these kinds of things. Windows installed clean after 10 minutes, not an hour or so). Keep us informed.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Mar 20 2002 - 06:19:12 CST