Installing 9i fails on Win2k

From: Wyrm <afdng_at_wyrm.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:05:23 -0000

Hi.

Further to my previous message, I've tried a nearly default installation of Oracle 9i on my Windows 2000 machine (clean Windows 2000 SP2 install). I chose Standard Edition rather than Enterprise. Everything installed OK, but when the installer started running the Configuration Tools there was a problem with Oracle Database Configuration Assistant (again).
It copied the database files, initialized the database, but when creating and starting the oracle instance it generated the following error: ORA-01041 internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist. I tried Ignore, but it came back with:
ORA-24324 service handle not initialized Ignore again gave me the first error, and ignore again the second error, etc.
I had no choice but to abort.
After installation, I tried to look at the database created, but was unable to login (illegal address).
I then ran the Database Configuration Assistant and tried to create a database, but with the same problems.
I am getting this problem on two Win2k Sp2 servers. Is there anything I can do to go forward from here instead of having to reinstall everything again?

I am going to try what Howard recommended in the other thread and do a Software Only installation on one of the two servers. However, this is not encouraging for the robustness of 9i given that even the default installation has problems!

Laurence Mee. Received on Wed Mar 20 2002 - 06:05:23 CST