Re: BFILE & BLOB question (Binary file from the client machine)

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:01:12 GMT

"Szymon Budys" <szymb_at_polbox.com> wrote:

>One more question regarding BFILE.
>In "Application Developer’s Guide - Large Objects (LOBs)", Part No.
>A76940-01 page 2-3, Oracle 8.1.7, we can find:
>"You cannot locate a single BFILE on more than one device, for
>instance, striped across a disk array."
>
>So - as I've understand - I have to provide new disk in a server if all
>other are in RAID (???)

Unsure.. I would think that all Oracle needs is a plan C/Unix-style file handle to access the file. Whether that file is raided or not, should not make a difference as Oracle is not responsible for the physical i/o, but the operating system is. IOW, Oracle opens the file, gets a file handle, and blockreads and blockwrites from/to it...

Interesting though..in a similar vein, how does Oracle handle symbolic links that are given as BFILEs.. ?

Best is to try and see what happens. Personally I can not see why the actual physical storage of a file will make any difference to an app as long as that app can access that file using a handle and the standard i/o routines.

--
Billy