Re: Oracle 9i won't install everything.

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:10:34 +1100

I can't say whether this is a feature... only that I've installed 9i about 20 times (because I have a penchant for re-installing Windows, not because there's a problem with Oracle!), and not once have I had a problem. (The Oracle install is straight after the W2K install, so it's clean, though... which can make a difference). Actually, I lie... the first time I did it, there was a problem: I'd elected to install a 'General Database' as part of the install. And I had the same sort of permanent hang issue you describe. Ever since, I've always performed a software install only, and then created the database as a separate exercise using the Configuration Assistant. Not that I'm short of memory or anything (1 Gb is enough), but it just sometimes seems that installing the software (Thank You Java!) *and* creating a database are a bit too much all at once.

I've also got to say that I've done a General Database install on a pathetic laptop without incident. I think it depends on the way the wind is blowing and what Prime Number you last thought of.

As for leaving all the registry entries behind... it happens. Has happened since Oracle 8.0. And no, it's not going to be fixed, I doubt. I guess the point is... why did they invent regedt32.exe??

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com