Postgree vs Oracle in a Linux Server

From: Alvaro Fuentes <alvarof2_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:03:05 GMT

Hello Fellow Oracle Netters:

I am trying to find at least three good reasons to install either Oracle or Postgree database in a Linux Server.

(I am familiar with the full-fledged versions of Oracle 8i, 9i, 11i on big SUN, and IBM-RS/6000 servers, and aware of the capabilities like High Availability etc.)

I dont have very much experience with Oracle on Linux. I know that Postgree or mySQL are kind of scaled-down versions.

Thinking in terms of being at this small scale (Linux Server):

  1. Which database (Oracle or Postgree) would run better in Linux? (ie Overall performance: stability, speed, etc).

2)Which one has more interfacing capabilites to other database clients? (ie integration to other enviroment, postgree with Oracle?)

3)In the long term: Which one offers more? (ie development enviroments)

Any Opinions/sharing experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

  1. Fuentes afuentes_at_goodpremises.com 512-297-9937