Re: CPU 100% use

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:15:02 -0500

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:39:41 -0500, Tom Brown wrote:

> i'll have to check when i get back in the office but i believe it was
> oracle.exe ? This only happens when i start one of the instances... The
> other is fine? But when the other does eventually start as (it takes ages
> to start) and the machine just is slow slow on the desktop it is
> virtually unusable.
>
> what i did notice was there once was 4 entries for memory... Java, Shared
> Pool and two others.. i can;t remember sorry, there is now only 2? One of
> the missing ones is the reference to Java pool and the other i 'think' is
> shared pool... Are thes confugired in initSID.ora and if so is there any
> reason why they would dissapear? I was the only one on the box today and
> i did not remove them???
>
> Thanks

It will probably sound as a stupid and exotic idea, but you could check in the alert log (/oracle/admin/$DB/bdump/alert_$SID.log) for any problems and I'd also check the same directory for things like smon or pmon trace. It may sound pesimistic, but I don't believe that you'll be able to get much performance from a database if SMON or PMON threads are down. You can stabilize your PC by installing SuSE 7.3 or Red Hat 7.2. Then, you'll have tools like gtop, sar, top, or vmstat which will tell you exactly what process is using your CPU. You'll also save your company a bundle. When your PC displays something like this:

Linux medo 2.4.16-4GB #15 Fri Mar 8 22:59:29 EST 2002 i686 unknown

you will not have many problems left with OS stability and diagnostics

--
Mladen Gogala