Re: Oracle versus Microsoft Sqlserver 2000

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2002 21:38:05 -0600

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, jeff_at_work.com wrote:
> In article <81ffd231.0203180848.2ef7f8da_at_posting.google.com>,
> mike.mcneer_at_umusic.com (Mike) wrote:
>

>>Where do I find the SQLPLus as I did a full install of Enterprise
>>Manager and am unsure of where it is. Also i checked out Toad and it
>>does seem like a much better tool.

> SQLPlus comes standard with 8i. Pretty sure it still comes with 9i.
> It should be in the menus as SQL Plus. The executable is either
> sqlplus or sqlplusw.exe, depending upon the os and which version
> (text-based vs. windows-based). It's simple, mind you... simpler in
> functionality, probably, than worksheet. For doing simple queries,
> though, I like it.

For Emacs fans, there is sql.el which piggybacks on the shell mode's functionality. It runs the textual version of sqlplus that comes with the Oracle install and controls it within an Emacs buffer. You have great history mechanisms (M-p cycles through all the history of your sql, M-r searches through previous history, C-p jumps to the previous sqlprompt, C-n jumps to the next sqlprompt), dynamic completion, templates, great searching within the SQL output, occur across the output ...

When you are coding within a buffer enabled for sql-mode, C-c C-r sends a region to a SQLi buffer (analogous to highlight, click go)

It sure is nice to have sqlplus as my primary development environment. Of course, you need to like Emacs to like this functionality. :-)

I'm also working on a functionality called find-ext.el which will look through your SQLPATH environmental variable for all files with .sql (as well as others if you like) and then when at the sqlplus prompt, typing @ [space] will bring up a completion buffer of all executables available to be run. It just challenges me with this elisp coding. Never did that before and I am trying to learn more about Oracle on top of that.

Anyways ...

--
Galen deForest Boyer