Re: Migrating from MS Sql Server to Oracle

From: BP Margolin <bpmargo_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:45:29 -0500

Daniel,

In general, excellent advice ... I have only two issues with your comments:

"> But since it is SQL Server likely you are talking less than 10
> million rows ... "

There are many SQL Server applications that have 1 or even 2 orders of magnitude more data.

> PS: In the Oracle world ... we test stuff before we throw it over the
> cubicle wall.

Might be true of applications written by Oracle developers outside of Oracle, but the number of bugs contained in the applications written by Oracle employees in their commercial products seems to be at least on a par, if not worse, than by Microsoft employees.

Otherwise, as I said, I think you have provided Mark with very sound advice.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.