Re: Datamanagment/EXPORT

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 05:41:49 +1100

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are rather new to Oracle, it pays to learn it at the command line first, and only then progress to the GUI tools (and, although it's not 100% clear from your post, I suppose that you are managing your database via Enterprise Manager?)

What I'd suggest is that you should open up a DOS box, and type "exp" to invoke the export utility. It will the prompt you to supply a username and a password. Then it prompts you for what you want to export and how. It makes things like authentication errors very visible (painfully so!). That's export in interactive mode. After that, progress to specifying all the options as command line parameters (ie, exp system/manager full=y rows=n indexes=y constraints=n file=d:\mydmp.dmp ...and so on).

When you know how to use a tool manually, then the magic of the GUI is understandable. I've been told this is an old-fashioned approach, and that if Oracle were any good, the GUI would be sufficient. But that's simply not true -as a hardened Windows user and Unix-hater, I love a good GUI, but I much prefer to be in complete control of my database, and understand what is going on.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com