Re: Migrating from MS Sql Server to Oracle

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:58:16 GMT

I would say that it is technically possible to move the tables in an hour. Just reverse engineer them with a tool such as ERwin and then rebuild from generated DDL. Moving the data is impossible to estimate as you gave no volumes. But since it is SQL Server likely you are talking less than 10 million rows so likely a day including writing the SQL*Loader control files.

But when it comes to the code ... you are not talking about migration. You are talking about a complete and total rewrite. Unless, of course, you have some over-riding urge for bad performance, corrupt data, and unhappy management and customers.

Oracle is not just SQL Server with the profits going to some guy named Larry instead of some guy named Bill. It has an entirely different model that involves multiversioning ... something that doesn't exist in SQL Server. The transaction model is different, the locking model is different, the resource issues are different, etc.

You should start buy purchasing a copy of Tom Kyte's book "expert one-on-one Oracle" and reading the first three chapters. Then, and only then, make an estimate. You don't say how many stored procedures, or what they do, or how complex, but my totally blind guess is that unless you want to be responsible for a mess ... you are talking about months.

PS: In the Oracle world ... we test stuff before we throw it over the cubicle wall. So figure in time for writing unit test scripts and actually using them.

And a word of warning about migration tools. From what I've seen they produce remarkably bad code often not understanding the differences between static cursors and ref cursors and other important issues.

Good luck.

Daniel Morgan