Re: Oracle on EMC Question

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_removetoemail_odbaguru.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:25:25 +1100

Buck,

I have had practical experience of this where a System Admin insisted that the EMC cache took care of everything also swearing that the performance stats from the EMC box showed excess capacity and thus no improvements in through put were possible. However when I was given the chance to do some separation of Redo and datafiles at the controller level the performance of the database was vastly improved. So now when possible I do OFA layout on EMC disk arrays but at the controller level rather than the disk level. Note don't be fooled by file systems being different as they may still all reside on the same EMC controller/disks.

Regards

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle Administration
www.brainbench.com