Re: Oracle on EMC Question

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:33:04 +0000

Buck Turgidson wrote:

> We are migrating our Oracle/IBM AIX database to an EMC disk array. Our
> DBA has placed all the datafiles in one directory (mount point) on the
> EMC array. He maintains that this is necessary with EMC, and the proper
> way to do it, given the caching that EMC does.
>
> Can someone verify that this is the case? Our DBA has been known to cut
> corners in the past, so I would like a little peer review of this.
>
> --

That is not correct.

There IS an argument often presented by EMC that you should not (or don't need to) worry about striping or file separation due to the wonders of their cache...but I always like to rely on things like the laws of physics when it comes to disk drive performance. eg a cache isn't going to help you one bit when it comes to backups / large parallel reads etc.

Treat the cache as a bonus and continue to insist on a sound approach to balancing the IO across the disks.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald