Re: Oracle on EMC Question

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:03:07 GMT

Buck Turgidson wrote:

> We are migrating our Oracle/IBM AIX database to an EMC disk array. Our
> DBA has placed all the datafiles in one directory (mount point) on the
> EMC array. He maintains that this is necessary with EMC, and the proper
> way to do it, given the caching that EMC does.

It is not *necessary* (i.e. required), but is certainly possible and may or may not be proper. It just depends on what you want out of the system.

> Can someone verify that this is the case? Our DBA has been known to cut
> corners in the past, so I would like a little peer review of this.

The bigger question is why you're letting an apparently untrustworthy DBA dictate your EMC setup? Unless the DBA is also a top-notch SA, he/she shouldn't be messing w/EMC setup/admin. Sorta like having your SA design your init.ora parameters...

Regards,
Sean Received on Mon Mar 18 2002 - 12:03:07 CST